Saturday, March 31, 2007

One week...

Apparently my uncle only has one week left. He's still conscious (at least when I last saw him 3 days ago). But he can't speak. He's got Alzheimer's and Parkinson's. His legs are frozen folded. And he can't eat. But why did they bring up the "quit feeding" idea? OK maybe my news isn't up to date and he lost consciousness or something... I don't have the guts to ask, though. Last discussion was, whether to give him a feeding tube or not. If so, it would be for one week only. At the end it's all the same. Isn't it starving a person to death? Doesn't it sound wrong? Well, I'm not close to him, but my mom is upset. Not as bad as my aunt, of course. She's aged so much taking care of her ill husband. Sigh... Didn't think this whole thing would affect me too much, but nevertheless it does. To be honest, I've been avoiding visiting him. His condition does look scary. And I don't know what to say. It's clear that he won't be getting too much better. I don't know how much he's suffering, but for sure my aunt is. Hmm... I'm not good at dealing with such situations. Reality seems to have warped a little.

2 comments:

Kieran said...

Sorry to hear about your uncle mabel...

MC said...

Thanks Kieran...
Everyone dies eventually...