Friday, October 10, 2008

Goldfish Jello

Summer limited edition traditional Japanese candy by Kamakura Minamoto Kicchouan. (Wow such a long name...) Thanks Yue for this beautiful snack! It's so pretty, I almost didn't want to eat it. But of course, it looks equally delicious too, so I wouldn't resist. After all, it's best when enjoyed fresh.
The taste is much heavier than expected. Lots of lemon. All the Japanese candies I've had up to this point lead me to believe lighter is the norm over there. Is it possible that this jello is an exception? This is supposed to be traditional. Hmm... I donno.
Although it's heavy, it's very different from north American ones. The former has depth and you can tell it's got real ingredients, while the later tastes artificial. The goldfish and rocks (?) have a different texture. (Of course, they're made separately before the jello was pored in.) Oops... I forgot to chill them! Oh well, the weather has already gotten cool anyway. And it doesn't hurt the taste either.

No comments: