Sunday, February 26, 2006

Pinky cooking

The result of the Premo (an evolved Sculpey) trial of directly building from the original parts has failed, because the clay is too sticky and dissolves the paint. (Yikes!! That means my skin has been absorbing whatever chemical there is in the clay!!) But I've already bought a bunch of Premo, so the next logical step is to make a mold so the Premo doesn't need to touch the Pinky.

I've used Oyumaru before with pretty good result, but this is my first time on making a 2-sided mold. Oyumaru is a waxy moldeling material which softens in hot water, and stays in shape after cool down. Due to this nautre, I had to use Eraser Clay for the other half of the mold. Eraser Clay is the opposit of Oyumaru. It hardens in hot water and turns into an eraser. (This is from the maker of Oyumaru, not Sculpey. The Sculpey one has to be baked, not boiled.) And then I found out later that it's OK to use Oyumaru on both sides! Aaaargh!!!!!

The result? Didn't work. Sob sob sob sob... The eraser clay sticks to the parts after it hardens, and can't be scraped off completely. The paint on the original part is damaged. Sigh... Tonight would be one last trail on using Oyumaru on both sides. If it fails, I'll have to strip the paint off the Pinky and build directly on top. BTW, Oyumaru is supposed to be reusable but it seems to be less soft on the second time.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gambatte! No pain, no gain.

MC said...

Thanks~! Ganbarima~su!

Damien|ダミエン said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
tonee said...

If you want to mold something small like that. It'll be easier to just get Polyurethane rubber molding compounds. You can get them at Industrial Paint and Plastics in Richmond. Professional stuff! Can make an ARMY of Pinkys!!!!

MC said...

Thanks Tonee! Is that the stuff which I need to bury half the original into plasticine? Is that expensive? Does it come in small portions? I guess I'll have to go bug you at your blog! (^_^)

tonee said...

hehe.. I'll put up one of my projects that used that stuff in the next day or two. Just visit my blog. I'll try to explain it bit more there.