Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Human nature = ugly?

I know it's not pleasant, but out of curiosity, I watched tonight's NOVA on PBS. It was on "Intelligent Design" (AKA creation theory trying to disguise as science.)

Well, I went to Christian elementary school, so I was brain washed right from the beginning. It wasn't until the final years of my teen that I learned the importance of being unbiased and doubtful (thanks to a few psychological bulling incidences). Why can't people judge by facts instead of blindly following whoever is in front? And when someone claims he/she is a Christian/Catholic, that person is automatically assumed the good guy? (I'm afraid hippies and environmentalist are also added to the list a few years ago, sigh...)

Don't take me wrong, I do believe in God. It's just that, increasingly I see the ugliness in such people. From personal experience, Christians/Catholics are actually very poor in tolerating differences in others. It's like, if you don't believe in my God, you should go to hell. (Hey where's the "love your enemy"?)

But tonight's show took that to extreme. Burning up a kid's artwork, hate mail, death threats... So, is that what Christians and Catholics do when they feel their religion is threatened? I'm sorry, but no matter how offended you were, that's not appropriate. Moreover, all you did was to tarnish the religion's image.

Right, it's more about power and politics. Human nature. Ugly. I forgot.

I would like to go into the "wedge" thing and the conspiracy of a few people trying to impose their religious agenda onto the whole nation. But that itself, could be portrayed with bias, making the religious side the bad guy. (Although facts do show that, I'm afraid.) So... I don't think I should go there.

The intolerance of the evolution theory only generates more hatred. Is there no way to include it? The Bible is all about metaphors and interpretation. Why do people have to take it word by word so literally?

All I want to say is that, has anyone on the religious side ever considered, if "Intelligent Design" ever took hold, they might get more people worshiping aliens than God? Or is that their true motif? Trying to pave a way to something like Scientology and make big money? (Yup, feel free to call me conspiracy queen.)

2 comments:

Kieran said...

mabel that is the best blog post ever, I do think I agree with almost everything you mentioned there, I will have to go download that episode.

MC said...

Thanks! Haha... actually I have a lot of things I wanna whine about, but too chicken to. The episode will be available at their web site on the 16th. It's 2 hours long!