Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Pumpkin chips

"Fresco Veggie Chips"... Isn't "fresco" wall paintings? Or do they mean "fresh"? Anyway, this was on sale for $1.59 so why not for a little adventure? (Thanks Andrew!) It's 100% natural, no trans fats, no hydrogenated oil, and no preservative. Looks like a winner. But why was there so many left?

Smells... like tea leaves. Taste... like tea leaves...? Hmm, not sure. I've never eaten tea leaves. All I know is, this is completely different from all the cooked pumpkins I've ever had. It was very bland and almost flavourless. There was a light sweetness, though. But if you blindfolded me, I would never have guessed this is pumpkin.

Not sure how they made them. Doesn't look like fried because non hydrogenated palm oil is last on the 4-item list. (Pumpkin > glucose > slat > non hydrogenated palm oil.) Could this be freeze-dried? The shape and colour are preserved perfectly.

Hated the texture. The orange part that is closer to the center is OK. Light and crunchy. But the green skin is way too hard and tough for me. It's barely edible. BTW, one bag only contains 6 chips. Way too expensive.

No comments: