Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Eczema

So the skin allergy has turn into eczema. "Inflammation of the upper layers of the skin." That doesn't say much, does it? Nor did the dermatologist. Again, just like my family doctor, he didn't want to speak to me more than the absolute minimum. I was trying to tell him about the mosquito bits but he didn't pay much attention. He looked at my mouth, started writing, looked again, wrote again. Then it was the prescription. The end.

Well, he did ask me what I've been using on the affected area. I showed him the Metronidazole cream from my family doctor. He said, stop using it, it made things worse, eh? Aaaaaaargh!!!!! What have my family doctor given me!?!?!?!?! Then I showed him the jar of Blistex daily lip conditioner. He smelled it and said stop using it either. It's got fragrance. (Huh? That's definitely NOT perfume!!!) No need for fancy cream or lotions, save the money and donate it to charity. Yeah right, I only use Oil of Olay. NOT anything near fancy. And, the medicine is gonna cost money too, right? He giggled, but stood his ground.

And then, just in case, I asked him how much the medicated cream would cost. He said, about $90. WHAT? $90?!?!?!! That's more than a year's supply of Oil of Olay!!! I whined. So he said, OK then, I can give you a smaller size, 30g instead of 90g. I said, will that be enough? He said, oh yes. Hey wait a minute! Did you just wrote me the largest possible size regardless of the amount I actually need? How much bribe did you get from the drug company?

If I can't use the Blistex stuff, I need new a new moisturizer. (The area itches when it gets dry.) So he wrote down the name Cetaphil. Not knowing what it is, I casually asked the phamacy if they have it. They're out of the smaller sizes and I ended up with this huge bottle. Oh well, I can use it as ordinary lotion anyway. But $14 (after tax) is super expensive for skin lotion!! The total bill came to around $49. Sigh... And! I'll need to apply sun screen separately. (The Blistex stuff is SPF30 but of course I can't use it anymore.) Luckily the pharmacy gave me a free sample of a good sun screen. But I was shocked to hear that the sun screen goes down first. Not the medicine. (Really? That sounds like a scam...)

And then, I started using the Cetaphil lotion as soon as I got home. How come it stings? And guess what? It's not thick enough. I have to keep applying every 30 minutes or so. I need an ointment instead of lotion. Again, that pharmacy unloaded the largest possible bottle on me regardless of my need. I didn't know there are other products in the line until I unpeel the coupon on the back. GRRRRR!!!!!!

At the end, I didn't have a chance to ask what might have caused the rash. Like, allergy. And if so, I'd like to get tested for it. Didn't have a chance to mention the diaper cream I used for 1 day. And didn't have a chance to ask about SebaMed products. Sigh... The overall impression of the dermatologist was, "I'm the doctor, you're not. Shut up. Now get out of here." No wonder why it only took 4 days to see him. Next time, (if there's a next time,) I'm gonna ask for someone else.

The rash around my mouth has spread all the way around and still spreading. The mosquito bites on my wrist are turning brown, but seem to be hopeful. The one near my belly button is also turning brown, but much darker and concentrated. The new one on my wrist is itching like hell, although no discolouration appears.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny story. kind of.
Reminds me of what I read about "Sicko" movie.

Can't you have a kind of allergy ? I mean you have reaction after a combinaison of mosquito bites, cream/lotion apply...

I believe allergies are really diffcult to work out, and insect and skin-product (I mean soap, shampoo, aftershave, sun cream etc) are currently involved.

good news : it often is benign. Just, don't look at the Nanni Moretti's movie "Caro diario (aka Dear Diary".

MC said...

Well, I don't really watch movies, and haven't seen any of those you mentioned. (Sorry!)

It's gotta be allergy. But unlike the States, allergy testing seems to be uncommon in Canada.

Oh well, it's getting better now. I just hope it won't leave any scar or discolourations.