Saturday, December 15, 2007

Goldfish

I tagged along with my brother and his wife when they went cross-border shopping more than a week ago. There are a lot of stuff in the States that aren't sold here. I've never seen Goldfish other then the regular orange packaging. (Or maybe I just haven't been paying attention?) There are about 6 different varieties down there. I only got these 3. $1.68 each vs $2.50 over here. Should have bought more. Oh well. But if I did, we wouldn't have enough US$ for gas at the end.

Remember Ceptaphil? The bottle I got was around $12 before tax. At the Costco over there, $12 can buy 2, plus a small bonus bottle. I thought I don't need that much and didn't buy it. Oh boy am I regretting it. (T_T) Sigh...

Back to the Goldfish. Baked and zero transfat, perfect for kids. (Yup, my nieces introduced me to it.) Thought they would be quite salty, but they aren't. From the strongest to the mildest, Cheddar, original, then Parmesan. Pretty good for munching in front of the computer. Hmm... that's it. Nothing else to write about. (^_^)

That giant box of 1.36kg was bought at Superstore. They knocked off all tax for 2 nights, so it was a good deal despite the horrible line up. I just want the box for mailing. Well, I'll eat the cracker too, of course.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Baked and zero transfat

About that, it seems that Europe is a way behind North America (USA + Canada, I mean).
I heard of "Transfat" only a week ago, in a TV report.. about USA. In France, there is no discussion about it, for now.

I read some "Transfat free" mentions on packaging in Quebec last summer, but I didn't know what it was about.
Now I know.

MC said...

And I thought Europe doesn't use trans fat at all? I'm wrong? Does this mean most food you pick up from the shelf contains trans fat?

Anonymous said...

It's not that simple.

I think most of the food in France, Spain, Italy (and these kind of countries near the Mediterranean sea) is pretty much healthy, I mean it goes to sale without industrial transformation (it is the case for milk, which just undergoes pasteurization, or butter which has to be churned and must not contain any addition - chimical or not - except salt in very specific ways, meat can't be 'maid' with growth hormones, etc).

For all this products, rules are really strict. And this products are the core of the sud-european alimentation (they talk about 'mediterranean food').

But industrial products (like Twix, industrial bread, and so on) may contain transfat.
In fact, there is in Belgium a really big transfat factory, and noone thinks it is for exportation in Notrh America.

For now, there isn't any law about transfat mention on the food packaging.

But in Europe, There is a quite big movement supporting organic products (in france, it is called 'Bio', like 'Biologique').


Well, it is a pretty large subject :) And there is a lot to say, including how french people have a way to think they do better than the other, before even knowing what is really done elsewhere (which may not be the simple people's fault, but also the journalist's one).

Sorry, I think my comment uses a very specific english, only spoken in my mind...

Kieran said...

In Canada they can not use hormones on cows or any other animals especially for milk, thats only in the U.S.A.
We are pretty healthy here we just have to many pesticides on all our fruit and veggies etc. Buy organic it costs a bit more but its worth it to try and save yourself from cancer etc.

Anonymous said...

@Keiran: It seems to me that the siuation in France is similar to the siuation in Canada, if I refer to your comment (this include organic food cost).

And maybe it is because of Canada and th story of canadian farmers in trial against Monsanto about GMO"scattering", but the french government is proposing this days a law to frame, control and in some way restrain GMO's cultivation.

MC said...

Hmm... technology's downside. Kieran, if you're reading this, I wonder if you've watched a documentary on the Knowledge Network a while ago. It's about our sewage system. We may be healthy(er) about trans fat, but our crops are laced with heavy metals and chemicals. (T_T)