Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Engine warning light

Last Friday when I was on my way to the new year family dinner, the engine warning light lit up while I was about to go onto Oak Street bridge at around 5:30 pm. (The one with the engine icon, not the oil one.) Imagine instant panic! If my car dies in the middle of the bridge, I'd be so screwed!!! Luckily I made it to the restaurant and the light did not lit up for the return trip.

I know, I know. An oil change is overdue for 2 months, but the car hasn't been used that much, so I procrastinated. But no more. Got the oil change today plus a minor tuneup. Ouch on the wallet. (T_T) I asked my mechanic about the engine light in 3 different occasions, but he didn't tell me what it means and only said it's nothing to worry about. So whatever it is, I assumed he can fix it easily.

The appointment was suspiciously fast. Did they do everything right?

There was a guy who couldn't pick a worse time to showed up (while all the mechanics were having lunch in the office). Without an appointment, he desperately tried to jump the line. He needs to do air care today, and he's got a pinched nerve on his spine, and it's so painful and difficult for him to come down, bla bla bla... He was refused service because it's not fair to other customers who booked appointments. Then this guy changed his tone, feeling a bit apologetic, and started talking about U.S. politics like he's the expert. (Ya know, the current election and stuff.) Oh boy he was persistent, never leaving the mechanic's side. Then very soon after lunch, my car was ready. Minus the lunch, it took about an hour. There are only 4 cranes. I noticed that guy took my space when I left. So! Am I worrying too much?

I brought along "homework" to do while my car was being worked on, and didn't eat lunch until everything was done. Bought a bento box at Fujiya across the street. Couldn't finish it. Did my stomach get smaller or did the food quality drop? Arrived at the garage at 11:30, left the area at 2:30.

Went to Lee Valley to pick up some strong magnets, then Richmond to check out a new toy store. And then! At around 5, Still in Richmond, the engine warning light lit up again! This time it stays lit! Aaaaaaargh!!!!!! What's going on????

I'd better look it up in the owner's manual and give that shop a call tomorrow. (T_T)

Here's some Chinese new year decorations at Aberdeen mall. Checked out the new toy store but nothing's worth buying. The store I usually go to, decided to take a break from selling Pinky. Which means, they won't be getting the Haruhi Pinky! Aaaaaargh!!! Nooooo!!!!! (T_T)

4 comments:

tonee said...

Engine light? Do you hear any knocking? Pinging noises from the engine? Smoke? Smells?

Check your fluid levels. Oil? Coolent?

If none of the above. It's probably not a concern. It's common for manufacturers (like Honda) to force a regular maintenance check. Cause panic for owners to bring their cars in.. and charge a hefty sum.. to "check your car over" and really all they do is turn the light off! haha

MC said...

Hey thanks for the tip! (^_^) No the engine isn't noisy except a slight clicking sound before it's warmed up. But it's been like that for years. Since I just had a tuneup the day before, the fluid should be fine. However, the car chocks a little when starting up today. Ya know, sounds like asthma and feels like it doesn't want to start up. My mechanic said (over the phone) it might be something electronic and agreed to take a look so I'm aiming at tomorrow. (Got important medical appointments so I'm a bit worried if it won't start up.) If Honda is doing that, they're so evil!!! (>_<;)(How did you find out?)

tonee said...

During cold starts, the clicking sound you hear is the engine running without oil lubing it.. it usually takes a few seconds for the oil to reach all the nooks and crannies.

Not only Honda.. pretty much most manufacturers these days. People are starting to get lazy with car maintenence (like no oil changes for YEARS).. so, they program the computer to turn the engine light on.. when its time. This forces the owner to pay attention.

MC said...

Thanks! I know so little about cars... (T_T) Yeah, you're exactly right. I'm getting increasing lazy about oil change. 4 months - 6 months - 8 months and it keeps getting longer. But I try to get a small tuneup once a year, maybe a big one every 2 years or so. After all, the car is 16 years old.

The engine light story continues in the newest post. (^_^)