Monday, April 14, 2008

Photobucket & Telus

AAAAAARGH !!!!!
This message from Telus online virus scan shows up around 4 times a day. I counted. It took me 355 clicks to get rid of it this time. According to knowledgeable friends, this is a false alarm. I tried, but cannot get to the file to delete it. Help!! I can't deal with it anymore! I'm going crazy!!! (T_T) (T_T) (T_T)

This "ad" appears on Photobucket recently. At first I thought it must be something I clicked accidentally. Instead of having you click on an ad link, they seem to have figured out a way to activate the ad even if you change folder. But no! This time, the only thing I touched was the scroll bar! So is it random? Or is it set to open once you enter Photobucket? It used to go away after you click the close box. Now, no matter what you click, it hijacks your browser and takes your page to that site, plus, blows it up to full screen. This is super invasive!!! I reeeally get turn-off, and close the tab. Which forces me to open Photobucket again in a new tab. So annoying!!! This ad is E V I L !!!!!!!! My rating of Photobucket dropped from "really good" to "below average" just because of this ad. Are you listening, Photobucket?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can fix your problem! Right now it's in the system restore folder so you have to clear that.

Go to Control Panel > Go to the System Icon and select it. Then from there in system properties, go to the 'System Restore' tab. Turn off system restore on that drive, then turn it back on. It should clear everything, if that's the only location for the virus, it must have caught it from the browser cache.

I use firefox, and I have a lot of addons to manage which sites I allow javascript and what ads to block. I also use spybot to immunize your IE or firefox.

Hope that helps, and I prefer imageshack. But that's mainly because I started with it first o_o;

MC said...

Thanks! I did that just now. We'll see if it works. (^_^)

So... I use Firefox too. How do you block that hijacking ad from Photobucket? Actually the browser disappears, then the "warning" pops up in the lower right hand corner. Once you touch it, the browser returns and get maximized to full screen with the ad site. Meaning, you've left Photobucket.

Anonymous said...

Is it still being detected? As for stopping it, I'm not too sure, since I'm not a real tech expert. But I use noscript to prevent javascript abuse and sites from installing stuff onto the computer without permission, adblock plus and a variety of addons. Spybot S&D also immunizes firefox, and prevents certain spyware from coming in. Prevention requires lots of addons/ programs o_o People sure don't make the internet safe nowadays

MC said...

I haven't received any warning. It worked! Yay~!!! Thanks! (^_^)

I think I'm giving up on Photobucket. (>_<;)

Kieran said...

Just get a Google Picasa account or a flickr account Mabel, its much safer and a lot better.

MC said...

Thanks... Actually, I have both. Photobucket is convenient with the direct link so you can copy and paste into your blog even when the album is set to private. Well, guess sooner or later, I'll have to switch.