Friday, June 20, 2008

Meiji Rich Strawberry

Airmailed from Japan. Thanks Sora! (^_^)

Straight forward, a strawberry chocolate. It says 77% strawberry on the wrapper. Really?! That's gotta be something! However, the first item on the ingredient list is sugar. Followed by cocoa butter, lactose, vegetable fat, whole milk powder, dried strawberry, yeast, skim milk powder, cream powder, emulsifier (contains soy), sour seasoning, red dye, flavour, antioxidant. So... right from the beginning, the 77% doesn't mean 77% of everything. It seems to refer to 77% of the strawberry content is from dried strawberry. Hmm...

It smells quite strong, a bit milk heavy, though. Taste... wow! It's different! It's not like any strawberry flavoured chocolate I've ever had! Yup, feels very real. Slightly tart, but very real. And there are strawberry seeds too. My complain would be a bit too milky. There's no aftertaste either. I was hungry, so I ate the whole bar in one sitting. That's 45g and 265kcal. 17.7g fat. Aaawww... today's gym effort is wasted.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you know where I can purchase this online? I've been searching forever! Thanks!

MC said...

Sorry this chocolate isn't available locally for me either. That was mailed to me from Japan. Meiji's official site doesn't even have this item. I suspect it's a limited edition. Here are 2 sites that still sell it.
Rakuten
http://item.rakuten.co.jp/tabete/2009274/
Yahoo
http://page12.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/p116621831
This Yahoo auction expires in 1 day so I'm not sure if you'd be able to even see it.
There is, however, one last hope. You might want to look into shopping service sites that will purchase from Japanese sites or auctions for a fee. Good luck.