Friday, February 02, 2007

29th Comic Market 71 (1)

Comic Market is the biggest doujinshi event in Japan. When I used to make dojinshi, it was my dream to go there at least once before I die. Although I stopped drawing manga, I'm still really happy to have the opportunity. It was almost a miracle for my trip to coincide with the event, there was no way I could let the chance pass.

It was the 71st Comic Market and lasted for 3 days. The commercial booths stayed the same while the doujin booths were different everyday. FMA was on the first day. That was when I would meet some of my blog friends at their booths. An FMA party was scheduled for that night.

On one hand, I was high, filled with anticipations and excitement. On the other hand, exhausted from the lack of sleep since before the trip. The stress of preparing for it (hotels were full). Packing (without sleep). Bunking with a girl friend in a semi-double bed (who had a cold and cough all night). My back condition doesn't allow me to sleep in that pose, so the quality of sleep had been poor.

My companion went with her friends to Tsukigi (the famous fish market district) while I went to the Big Sigh at Daiba for the Comic Market. The Big Sigh is a huge exhibition facility. It's just... huge. Oh! And they have landmarks for people to meet at. Giant colour spheres. I myself have seen red, green, and blue, although there might also be a yellow one. Probably for east, south, west, and north. The English name for the spheres are called "ball". Nothing wrong with that, until you come to the blue one. Need I say more? Hahaha... Too bad I couldn't take any photos this time. These were from 2 years ago. I suspect they know about it and intentionally put the smoking room in the way so you can't get a good shot of the word "blue ball".

To get to the Big Sigh, you pretty much must take the Yurikamome train line, which is expensive! (About double!) Maybe it's new, maybe it's got good seaside scenery, maybe it's just a scam. The line does go by some interesting places, like the rainbow bridge, and the Fuji TV station. (The top photo.)

No comments: