Sunday, February 04, 2007

29th Comic Market 71 (3)

After lunch, I headed for the FMA doujin area. Many thanks to my blog friend Masoho who gave me so much info and scanning the map, even marked out my "target" tables. (^_^)

There were at least 2 halls but less crowed than the commercial area. No line-up either. It must have been around 1PM or so. From what Msoho told me, many of the doujin booths start packing up around 2 or 2:30 although the events are until 4. (Because everyone wants to read what they bought ASAP.)

As I did at the commercial area, I lifted my camera up above my head to take a corner photo. And immediately! 2 men rushed to stop me before I could fire the shutter. (That was scary!) What?! No photo? Ya gatta be kidding me!!!!!! I've come all the way form half an earth away, and there was no way I could accept "no photo". The language barrier was thick, because they spoke no English. Using my broken Japanese and writing kanjis, I was able to find out a work-around: to get a media pass.

I was pointed to an info station in the opposite hall. There was a line up. And they couldn't speak English either. Although I was extremely unpleased and annoyed by the whole situation, the way they panic when having to deal with an English speaker amused me. I did try my best to communicate using Japanese, but I guess that wasn't enough. (Or did they just want to throw the ball to someone else?) At last they called for help from the international help desk. After more waiting, a guy who could speak English finally came to the rescue.

He took me upstairs to an office area that looked like their headquarters. I had to fill a 3-page form, including my address and phone number, publication, reason, what and when the report will be published. Then, I was given an arm band and a numbered pass that had to be returned before 4. The guy explained that some years ago, some sort of paper came to do a report, but did it in a really negative way which gave Comic Market a bad name. To avoid it from happening again, all media need to be approved. Hmm... I guess that makes sense. But I'm just a tourist! Yeah I'm an otaku too. I won't bad-mouth the event, but I will complain about all the hassle you put me through. It's very tourist unfriendly and I was (and still am) very unhappy.

Armed with my newly acquired media pass, I went straight to the same corner to continue the photo shoot. Ha-ha! As expected, someone (a different guy) came to stop me, again! But he backed off immediately when he saw my arm ban. Heee-he! Well, at least all the people I had to deal with were polite. This aspect of Japanese rocks!

It must have been at least 2PM by now. That whole incidence cost me a precious hour! Grrrrr...

No comments: