Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Coolpix vs Cyber-shot

Finally got time to do a comparison. (No, actually I don't have time. Just procrastinating from what I really should be doing.)

Left: Nikon Coolpix 2500. 2 megapixel. 6 years old. Image size 1600 x 1200, 300 dpi. Quality: fine.
Right: Sony Cyber-shot DSCS750 (?) 7.2 megapixel. 2 (?) years old. Image size 3072 x 2304, 72 dpi. Quality: fine.
  • 1st complain, the colour is off. Well, I didn't mug with the setting back then, so it was probably set up poorly.
  • 2nd complain, Sony's macro mode sucks! To avoid distortion, I usually zoom in a bit but not all the way. The depth of field is unacceptably shallow. Hence, most of the picture is out of focus. Which is not what I want. Nikon is better at that.
  • 3rd complain, images from the Cyber-shot opens in Photoshop as 72 dpi even when image quality is set to the highest. Coolpix opens at 300 dpi.
This is after adjusting the mid tones with software.

Close up, no retouching. Click to enlarge. I didn't use a tripod so the angle is a little off.


Conclusion
: I still like my 6-year old Coolpix better.
And, it's got the swivel lens that is simply not available anymore.

No comments: