Thursday, August 30, 2007

Close rip-off encounter

Thanks Steven for the $2 coupon. I went to replenish the pair of earrings, but ended up getting another key chain instead (because of the $4 difference). While I was there, might as well phone up Andrew to see if he needs anything. So, 2 manga books later, the total would give me another coupon, which I can give back to Steven. Andrew and I could each get a dollar off our stuff. Nice and fair.

So, I handed over Steven's coupon, and the cashier guy void it with a red pen. It was true that I distracted him by asking Death Note book 13 questions, but he forgot to give me a new coupon. I almost forgot myself too. Nevertheless, asked for it, got it, and left.

10 feet outside the store, my gut feeling told me to check the receipt. Which I did. Deep down in my heart, I suspect Steven's coupon wasn't deducted. There were 2 different tax rates. My blood sugar was so low, I couldn't think. So I went back inside and asked another lady to figure out the amount I need to collect from Andrew. She kindly did, but heck, I was right about Steven's coupon! The guy did not deduct the $2! And when I protested, he looked blank, like he didn't know what I was talking about.

At the end, I did get $2 cash back. But hey, was that guy day-dreaming on the job? Or was the whole thing sneakily on purpose? If I didn't pay attention, I could have been ripped off $4! So, protect yourself! Always check the receipt! It's not the matter of a few bucks, but doing business honestly.

Thought the story would end here, but, no. I looked at the coupon just now, and realized it's dated Oct 1 to Oct 31. Their coupon is usually valid "next month". Today was Aug 29. Technically speaking, I should have received a September coupon instead of October. This smells kinda fishy. Are they up to something? I confirmed recently that their Crystal Mall branch had closed down. These coupons are only good at the location they're issued. So, if the Metrotown branch closes down in September, the coupon would be no good.

Hmm... if there's a contest for conspiracy queen, I think I might win...

2 comments:

Kieran said...

haha Mabel your silly, they are all just young kids in that store so they don't know their heads from their tails.
I highly doubt that sakura media would close down within the next month, and I bet that you could walk in there tomorrow and use the October coupon and no one would notice and still give you the discount.

MC said...

Oh, no no no. That oriental guy looks like he's in his 30's. And the oriental lady in her mid 20's. No kids that day.

Ya sure about the date thing? I witnessed someone's coupon being turn down because it's not valid yet. But that happened at least 6 months ago.

And, yeah, they'd better not close down. (^_^)