Monday, March 14, 2011

Book store

Got a call from the Japanese book store around 1. Apparently they've called me multiple times but I managed to miss it every time. (Ah... I see. So it was them. I don't have caller ID.) They called to inform me that they're closing down for good, and my magazine subscription will be terminated.

This, to me, is as big a shock as the Japanese tsunami. They've been there for... over 15 years? Maybe 18 or so? It's just so sad to see them go. I don't want them to go. (T_T) But honestly, their price is expensive. 100 yen = $2.40... More than double the exchange rate. If you order by air mail, the price triples.

So I went to see if there's anything on clearance. The good stuff are already gone. Magazine and stationary are 70% off. Toys are 50% off. Books are regular price. Everything not sold will be shipped back to Japan. Are they crazy? Doesn't it cost more to ship than to sell at half price? But I was told that books are refundable over there. Hmm... I see. Poor publishers. Well... don't think I'm in any position to say anything anyway.

Ended up getting 5 Pinkys at $5 each. They're all leftover ugly ones (well OK, "less popular" ones), but perfect as customizing materials. There were better ones, but not cheap even at half price.... or did I not pay enough attention to the signs? I ended up getting 70% off. Did I say anything? No. Am I bad? Maybe. But they raised the price before lowering it!

So, A, although you said I shouldn't have kept my mouth shut, I don't think I've done anything evil either. The tag was $5. I didn't mess with it. And they tried to sneakily raise the price first.

No comments: