Thursday, December 17, 2009

Discharge

Phone call from the social worker woke me up at 9:30. We talked for a bit. She referred an occupational therapist to us. Then the usual phone call marathon from friends and relatives. Including the occupational therapist herself. I get the feeling that she doesn't think we need much help or take us seriously.

We arrived at the hospital at 11:30 to pick dad up. Yesterday a nurse told us to come before lunch. Then the social worker told us to come after lunch. The occupational therapist (after visiting dad) said any time. Well...

He wet himself while we were still there last night, and we forced him to change into hospital gown. Today he's all dressed in street clothes again. When did the gown come off? Did he wet himself again after we left? (Must have!) Geeze I wonder if he slept in those street clothes.

The physio therapist came to check dad's mobility. Dad seems to be fine. In fact, a lot better than at home. Again, I got the feeling that the therapist didn't take us seriously. Maybe dad is doing well enough. Nevertheless we were shown 2 types of walkers. Dad definitely walks better with the one with no seat. So the therapist wrote us a referral for borrowing the equipment form Red Cross. Originally I requested some exercise, but he said an exercise program needs more time to develop. He was going to refer a therapist to visit us at home. However, once he saw that I'd be getting an occupational therapist visit, he passed the ball saying I can get a referral from the OT. Hmm...

Then the social worker was surprised to see us before lunch. She still needed to type me a letter. Meanwhile food came. I didn't know they'd feed dad lunch. The nurses kept saying they needed the bed for someone else, and we should wait in the waiting room. Trying not to complicate things, we had dad finish eating in his room, then went to the waiting room. Shortly after that, the social worker came and gave me a load of info on getting home care support and senior homes. Then, we could finally go home. (Not without picking up some grocery first.) The walker will have to be picked up later because we didn't want dad to wet the car.

Tired. Very tired. Felt asleep at the desk again.
Oops... forgot to book dad's follow up appointment.

And... just as I thought I could finally have a day to myself tomorrow, mom came to tell me dad's balls are all red and swollen. His dick has sunken and disappeared. (Last time she said that at the urologist's office, he checked dad out and said dad's normal. I don't know if this is just mom worrying too much. I sure don't want to see dad's dick. Sorry. Nope. No thanks. No way.)

So, tomorrow. Looks like I'll need to take him to the doctor again. Sigh... And I got plans already. My 2-months overdue haircut, and lunch with an ex-colleague, who might possibly lead me to a more proper job, which I desperately need. Dad, or job? Sigh... I'm going to hell.

No comments: