Tuesday, January 12, 2010

UBC hospital

Dad's appointment was at 8 AM. Had to get up at 6:30. Only got one hour sleep. We left the hose at 7:10 AM. Should take only about half and hour but since I'm not familiar with the geography, better leave some elbow room. The sun wasn't even up. It was dark like night, and raining. Driving condition was bad, and way more cars than expected.

As anticipated, I did get lost. Took a wrong turn at the round-about where Marine Drive meets 16th. I should have printed the map out instead of trying to memorize it. (T_T) Wasted some time there, but still OK. However, we couldn't find the building after we parked, and lost more time. Dad can't walk fast. We were 5 minutes late. The nurses were waiting for us already.

We got dad changed, and sent into the room alone. I wasn't allowed in despite being his translator. After that, don't remember much. I kept dosing off in the waiting area. On my way back from the washroom, I saw dad siting in the hallway with other patients in line for something. Told mom, and she went to sit with him. I continued dosing off. It was super uncomfortable. All the joins in my body was aching.

There were 2 tests. Kidneys function test, and bladder function test. By the time we were called in to see the doctor, those were done. The last thing was a cystoscopy (sticking a camera into the urethra). We were allowed to be in the room. A little bit of translation was needed. Like, we need you to sign for consent to be examined, come closer the the edge of the bench, put your feet here, the nurse is going to clean you, she's going to inject freezing gel, the doctor is going to insert the camera, etc. I'd say, the procedure was not unlike Medieval torture. Blood is expected to be seen in urine for about 2 days, and it's normal.

It was almost 11 AM when we left. Took 16th Ave this time. It seemed very smooth and easy. But I didn't want to take any chance on our way there. Ate lunch at DQ. Picked up 5 loafs of discounted (expiring) bread a bakery nearby, and went home. Finally, I could sleep. It was about 1 PM.

Got woken up at 6:30 PM. It's brother-come-home-for-dinner day, and as usual we'd be eating out. Once again, groggy and needed to drive. Mui Garden curry for dinner.

This "nap" screwed me up again, and I couldn't sleep until 5:30 AM. (T_T) Am I screwed up for life?

No comments: