Sunday, November 21, 2010

Craft fair 2

Ended up sleeping for 1 hour only. My body was definitely shutting down. Trip mode kicked in and I was running on adrenaline. A few things got missed or given up, but I basically managed to get a bit of everything done. The number 1 fail was the pompoms. I expected them to sell well and hope to make as many as possible. However, I opened the bag only to find out the quality being so poor, they're unusable. Well... after the craft fair, maybe I'll have to give them a serious trim, so that they don't go to waste.

Sis-in-law has been having a sore throat for a few days and wasn't feeling well last night. She was going to attend church today after setup, but now she prefer not to run around and stay at the table. Brother drove, helped setup, and went to church. Niece G was painting T-shirts at the table. Niece N was going to to with brother, but changed her mind. So, including J the lady we're sharing the table with, and her daughter, there were 6 people. Only 2 chairs were provided. We took turns to sit... except for niece G because she needed to sit down to paint.

I was on my feet until at least 11. The kids (including from neighbouring tables) got bored and went to explore the place. Only then did the adults get to sit more. Setup took over an hour. It was very chaotic. I realized my eyes were having trouble focusing. Must be from exhaustion.

Since my position was kind of... at my sis-in-law's mercy, most of my stuff didn't even get displayed. Only 2 super cheap chokers and 3 chains got onto the table. (Out of... I dunno, 50?) I had better luck with earrings because sis-in-law didn't make any. (I knew it early on, and took advantage of that.)

Was it my lack of sleep, or getting up way too early? Time past so slowly, I was an hour off. First thing got sold was niece G's T-shirt. Then some of her clay "poop" key chains. And then J and sis-in-law sold something too. Can't say there were a lot of people, and most of them were only looking. I didn't make any sales until after 2. (The fair ended at 3.) A lady bought 2 pairs of earrings. Those were the umbrellas I made last night, and are something that I can call my own creation. (As to quick-and-dirty joining a few metal charms together.)

Some of sis-in-law's church friends came visit. One of them bought a cheap choker for her girl. So I sold a total of 3 items and received $13. (Sis-in-law made $73 of sales.) J wanted to buy a pair of earring similar to the 2 that were sold, but I let her have it as table fee. (Need to make a new one since I only made one each.) She also got 2 T-shirts from niece G as table fee. She actually sold the most items. A lady came and almost cleaned out her pearl earrings. At $3 a pair in a gift box, it's an unbelievable deal. Besides that, a few necklaces. Well, she was more tuned to the market.

With only $13, I couldn't bring myself to spend any money at the fair. Nevertheless, I got a business card from the table I like. Maybe I'll buy something at her future shows.

The loud and obnoxious (according to J) hot-dog vendor wasn't there today. Actually he wasn't even there yesterday by the time we arrived. He sold out and left early. He did stopped by today and say hi to some of his friends, though.

Mom made me 2 sandwiches. 1 for breakfast and 1 for lunch. I ate one as brunch, and gave the other to my nieces to share. Sis-in-law didn't bring any food. That was so unlike her. She's always been the well-prepared mom. I think she must be quite sick but wasn't letting it show. The kids were still hungry, so sis-in-law ended up buying a loft of green tea cake form another table. It was actually awesome! But that size at $4.25, it was expensive. Extremely filling, though. J also bought a loft of chocolate cake from the same table and ate that as lunch with her girl.

Brother came back after church with a bunch of McDonald's apple pies. My body and brain were not fully functioning and I completely lost track of time. Just tried to last till the end of the show. Around 2:30 sis-in-law went hunting for deals. Unfortunately there weren't many. She did mention some reductions on some large crystal earrings, but I don't think she actually bought any. I kind of wanted to go look around too, but was too tired. Oh well.

It was time. The tables inside the hall started packing up. Those outside (including us) held out for another 15 to 20 minutes. Then brother dropped me off. It was 4:30 that I finally got home and had time to return A's call. Thanks so much for the dinner offer. I'm so sorry... I was way too tired to drive. Actually mom offered to eat out with brother's gang too. But he said they needed to go home first and get back to us later. He ended up declining at the end. I'm just glad that I didn't have to drive because I was in no condition to. But looking back, sis-in-law must be 50 times worse because she wasn't well, yet she had to cook! Eating out might have been a better choice. Oh well!

Tried to unpack and clean up (my room's a mess especially from last night's last minute work)... but couldn't. Kept falling asleep at the desk... until dinner time... at 7:30? After dinner, same thing. So basically between 4:30 and 11:30, I was completely down and useless. Tomorrow is dad's eye appointment, plus my chiropractor. I'd better wash my hair tonight.

No comments: