Saturday, February 20, 2010

Olympic hype

Yes, finally, I gave in to the Olympic hype and went downtown by Skytrain to see the craziness with A. (Thanks for showing me around!) Thought I could at least see what The Bay has, but the line up was impossible! (Let's say, the line up alone was big enough to be a tourist attraction.) The store opens at 9. We got there at 10:50. The line up was already going around the block. The radio news said people started lining up at 5! Insane!!! Of course I wasn't gonna stand there for half the day, especially when the weather was so nice.

A Japanese friend told me that the red mittens are very expensive over there. I slightly checked online, and found the price's been jacked up 2.5 - 3 times. I thought I could get her one. This turn into today's quest.

Took pictures of the torch. Quite crowded, but a bit better than I imagined. Failed to shop at the Bay, but ate lunch at their cafeteria. (Thanks A!) It wasn't exactly cheap for a cafeteria but at least not crowed like most places downtown. Was hoping to go to Oakridge from the Canada line Granville station, but the line was so unbelievably long, we gave up and went back to A's place.

I ended up driving to Oakridge instead. The Bay there only had size S red mittens. Surprisingly, the Zellars there had size S and L. But no M. It was mid-afternoon, so we decided to try the Zellars at Brentwood mall. It was no difference. Only size S left. We had one more chance and decided to hit the Bay in Lougheed mall. It was my first time ever to go there. Sadly, they had the least Olympic stuff of all the store we visited today. 80% of their Olympic corner was empty shelves. Sad, just so sad. Strange enough, we were there 20 minutes before closing, but the parking lot was full!!!! Even after the mall closed, it was still super full!!!! Did people leave their cars there and then hop onto the Skytrain to go downtown?

Feeling the need to make up for the "lost", we (I) went to the Michael's in Burnaby. That's also my first time.... so I thought. Turn out I've been there before. That day I had to meet A and S at Metrotown, but turn too early from Marine Drive and ended up high on a hill. In short, I was lost. When I finally got a chance to U-turn, it was actually in that mall. (Sorry, still don't know it's name.) Back to Michael's. Got to use the first time ever all-day 20% off coupon good even for sale items. (Usually it's until 1PM.) So, I'm glad that I didn't go home empty-handed.

Watched some Olympics at A's. Kept falling asleep thanks to 3-hour sleep last night.

No comments: