Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Opthomologist (5)

Ended up getting only 2 hours of sleep.

Up at 7 (vs work day 9). First appointment of the day: ophthalmologist.
The result of my retina scan is normal. But then why can't I see clearly??? Seems like the doctor thinks there's nothing wrong with my eyes. He asked me about my nervous system and temperament. (Temperament???) Is he thinking it's all in my head? I can't see street signs until 5 ft away is a fact! I'm not making it up, and I need help. When the doctor gives up, how can I not? Fine. I'm put on observations in 6 months, and that's over as far as I'm concerned.

BTW, the scan result was really cool. There was a pie chart, a cross section, and a 3D contour map, of what I guess was where the optic nerve leaves the eye ball. (Looks like a dimple.) All in colour, all from looking at a cross-hair for a few seconds.

Got home, rest for half and hour, and it was time for the second appointment of the day: daycare registration for dad.
Parking was a little obscured, and I ended up having to move my car while mom took dad inside. However! The damn car wouldn't start! We got there slightly early, but the car just wouldn't cooperate. I tried and tried and tried. Really, really, frustrated. (And mom as always was so good at adding fuel to fire. I know she's just concerned, but she wasn't helping.) Finally, the car responded, and I was able to move to a more proper spot. That whole ordeal made me late. The daycare looks homey and we did all the paper work. Dad will start there once a week beginning next Wednesday.

When we were asked if we want CPR on dad if his heart stops, I passed it onto mom. Yes, it was cowardly of me, but it's also true that, she, as the wife, has more authority. And her choice was no. I see... (It makes sense, but still feels awkward.)

Ate out for lunch at Ho's. Seems like mom needs a break, but also feels guilty putting dad in daycare. This lunch felt like an apology. Dad got to choose the restaurant and dishes. Mom needed to stop by the bank and check on Mr. K's house nearby (he's out of town). We went home afterward. Rested for about an hour, and then it was time for the third appointment of the day: dad's urologist at VGH.

We got fed up with the unreasonably expensive parking at the hospital. It was a nice sunny day, so I drop them off and parked at the 7-11 nearby. It's only 2 blocks away and parking costs less than half. Dad's last set of test result came back normal. No infection or whatsoever. Then why does his pee smell like hell??? The urologist said dad's prostate is slightly enlarged, but there's nothing more he can do to improve, and wrote us the name of a prostate supplement, Saw Palmetto. Just like me, dad is put on a 6-month observation interval.

It's a huge huge huge huge disappointment that doctors can just give up when the tests show normal result, despite symptoms still exist. Reminds me of that TV show called Mystery Diagnosis.

Stopped by the bakery for tomorrow's lunch, and then the post office to weight a partially packed parcel. Got chip cravings again, so we got the $5 two bags Lays at Shopper's. Yes... the vampire is drawing close again...

Dropped dead in front of the computer soon after I got home. Should have lay down. Neck, back and shoulders are bad. But I didn't want a deep sleep.

Eat-out day with brother's gang today. As usual, my nieces like to bug me at my computer, to see Pinky related web sites. After they left, I napped some more at the desk. (Bad!!!!) And wrote this. There goes the day. Need to work tomorrow.

The internet is still kind of screwed up. Time to reboot the router. Thanks for the tip, A.

No comments: