Thursday, October 28, 2010

Virus scare

I was Googling for local packaging supply stores and clicked on one of the search results. However, it must have gotten hijacked and spitted me out into some malicious looking site. Oh yes I recognize you. You pretend to be a virus scan and even put on an animation of "scanning my computer". Nope, away you go.

I tired to close the tab. As usual, you asked me if I'm sure I wanna leave. What are my options? "OK" to scan and "cancel" to stay on the page"? I prefer none of the above. However, clicking on the x button on the window's upper right hand corner only closed it for half a second. The exact same window kept coming back again and again. Then I made the mistake of clicking cancel.

The computer immediately started making a lot of noise, and a window popped up asking me if I want to run or save an "install.exe" file. Oh crap! I freaked out. It was literally fighting a battle! I was trying to close those windows, but they kept coming back! Crap!!!!!!

OK I've had enough. Task manager was so good at killing as always. I usually do a full scan after such incidents but today I wanted to get going so that I could actually visit the store. (Not to mention my online search was not completed.) So instead of a full scan, I ran a quick one. Things seemed to be fine.

Then I fired up Firefox again. It automatically started downloading some kind of update. It took a little while. The 2 tabs on the browser stayed blank while the machine struggled to load the contents. Then, then I noticed, besides the Firefox site where they always force onto you after an update, my "home" page wasn't Google! The title says "wait a minute, your computer is at risk"!!!!

That, was the same virus site I just escaped from!!!! It followed me!!!!! Aaaaarrrrgggghhh!!!!!

Freaked out again. Immediately I tried to close Firefox. No response but a lot of noise. The computer must have been very confused. Quickly, I launched a full virus scan. As I prepared the Task Manager again, the virus site had finished loading and I had to go through a few more rounds of battle. And the virus scan picked up something bad. I chose to "clean up". I think I went through this choice at least 3 times. It was totally freaky.

Thank God for Task Manager.

So, a full scan takes more than an hour. I couldn't continue with my search. Nevertheless, I still wanted to drop by Michael's. So I left the scan running while I fled.

I was there looking for earring hooks. But found half price on strung beads instead. Could I resist? Of course not. Spent too much time picking out useful ones. My wallet's gonna hate me. (>_<) BTW, 2 of my online orders arrived. Hand made rose cabochons. Not as nice as I thought but still better than most stuff I've seen. Not cheap, though.
Need really tiny jump rings but of course they don't exist. Have to make them myself. They keep jumping off my hands! (Can't be the reason why they're called jump rings.) This batch of 27 rings cost me 3 hours. (T_T)

No comments: