Sunday, January 16, 2011

Bread and gas

A's new bread maker is working great. If I must pick bones out of an egg, the bread can be more fluffier. (Which seems to be difficult for small domestic machines like that.)

Went to fill up at around 11:30 at my usual gas station. To my surprised, that female beggar was back! Was it because of the cold that she took 3 weeks off? This was the 5th time I encountered her since 2 months ago. And again, she's got a different story. I've already chosen the first row closest to the 7-11. Didn't think she had the guts to come harass me, but she did. That, I'm afraid, was my last straw. (Geeze... too many "last straws" today...)

She was holding a not very fresh-looking McDonald's bag, and showed me 4 quarters in her hand. She said she was short a dollar for a burger or something, and wanted me to give her a toonie. (I think she was trying to trade me the 4 quarters with a toonie.) What a lie... I'm sorry, out of all things I don't like, I hate lairs the most. So I just told her straight that it was my 5th time seeing her there, and every time she had a different story. She then immediately changed from a sweet and nice face to very upset and even a little angry, then walked away mumbling something. I've had enough of her already, and finally went inside the 7-11 to ask if the staff had noticed this woman.

When I finished my story and went back outside to continue with my fill-up, one of the staff came with me to take a look. And guess what. Right there, that woman was harassing the car behind mine! Good! She was caught red-handed. And the staff told her if he catches her next time, he will call police. She of course disappeared right away. I thanked the guy, and told him more info on when I saw her and where she's been hiding (at the bus stop).

Was it the right thing to do? Will I have peace next time when I fill-up? Will this woman turn to crime from begging? Did I drive her deeper into the dark side? I just get this unsettling feeling in my stomach. But I need to defend myself too.

Boss is starting a cold. I have the choice of skipping work tomorrow. Aunt Y doesn't want me to risk it. OK she has lung cancer and her worry is valid. After all, I haven't taken (and decide no to take) a flu shot this year. I don't want to get sick either. But I have Christmas bills to pay. I need to work.

No comments: