Monday, January 31, 2011

Furnace motor

3PM, mom heard strange banging noises that came from the heat vents. It stopped shortly, but then, the whole house started to smell like something's burning. I called up the company we last had our furnace serviced, thinking it was something they warned us against last time. (Something to do with the fan's shaft.) Until they showed up around 5:30, we didn't know what to do and thus did nothing. The burning smell only got worse. Opening the doors didn't help. (I had one window in my room opened too.)

Turn out the motor was burnt. With it, the safety switch. Both needed to be changed and cost us $745. We barely had enough cash in the house. What we should have done, was to turn off the fuse for the furnace. It should have turn itself off, but the safety switch must have been blown during the initial burst.

So, parts were changed, and the guys left. However, the burning smell stayed. Do think it's gonna disappear too soon because it's winter after all. All windows and doors are closed. It's gonna be -4 tonight! Well, I did have the front door and my window partially opened until I go to bed, but still, smelling very bad. I suspect something's still burning? My nose and throat have been feeling extremely irritated, and my head's been feeling like it's swollen. Got an on-and-off headache too.

Mom gave me 2 rattan bracelets she confiscated from dad. He put them with his tools in his "treasure" pile downstairs. They were from his grandfather. Which means, 4 generations old. Hand made, look home made too. Could they be antique folk art? The workmanship looks fine. Definitely not a mass produced object.

Started organizing the new bookcase. Must things get messy before getting tidy? Must there be chaos before order? Now it's an ugly mess. But at least it's already better then before I set the bookcase up.

No comments: