Friday, May 20, 2011

Museum of Natural History

Today started with medium rain, so we went to the American Museum of Natural History. Took the subway the first time. I know it's old (started in 1904?) and can't avoid being dingy, but it actually stinks. Maybe the rain adds to it, it smells bad. Chatted with a Denmark family on the train. Her daughter and granddaughter will join them in a few days so they won't be buying the city pass. I gave her the free MoMA tickets from my brother. Hope he doesn't mind. This way the tickets will get used and won't be wasted.

Too much to see. Only had enough time to see the planetarium, stuffed animals, and fossils. A rented an audio guide for $6. (Not covered by the City Pass.) I was taking pictures like there's no tomorrow... which, of course backfired. I did not read any of the text, and thus learned nothing. (T_T)

I was trying to take funny pictures (like interacting with the exhibits). A got tired after a few and said "there's only so many of these you can take..." Sigh... flushed my mood away and did not shoot a single funny picture after that. Huge damage. Huge. (T_T)

The cafeteria is expensive. A cheese and tomato sandwich costs $8.5 before tax. The cheese is almost an inch thick, though. I really regret not taking a picture of that. I must be hungry, and A was not in a good mood. (T_T) I should have realized my energy level was low and I was tired by then. I guess I was in trip mode and tried to make the most of the the museum, forcing myself to act normal...

We stayed till almost closing time. At least the rain stopped. We took the train to Columbus Circle and walked around and around and around. I was 3-quarter zombie and my legs hurt. Just trying my best to catch up with A on his coffee hunt. My mind was so numb, I didn't even know where we were going. (The name "Columbus Circle" was only dug up afterward from a short clip I shot with A's camera.) And finally we walked back to our hotel. There is no record on what we ate for dinner, so it was possible that we ate "at home" again.

The knock has been a problem. It always is on trips. This time is no exception. I usually turn the TV on, but A dislikes it. This turn into a silent fight. Coughing continues. Not much sleep.

No comments: